This website uses cookies. By continuing to browse, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

I accept

Men's 6s Take 4-2 Victory


24th February 2020

By Chris Laws

Men’s 6s 4 – 2 Camberley & Farnborough M2

Goalscorers: Steve Todd 2, Harry Hodges 1, Ben Hansen 1

With Big T still out with a nasty virus and our captain recovering in the sun with a hamstring injury, the executive decisions on the pitch were made by Toddy. Despite a few key players being out we still had a strong line-up, with a mixture of solid old heads and youth adding much needed pace and skill. We also had the pleasure of being joined this week by Paul Fishpool, who gave us some added structure and experience in defence alongside Toddy.

Before the game started the legendary Big T black clipboard was in attendance, so everyone knew who was on and off and what the rotations were. Although working well in the first half, it seemed to go out the window in the second. 

Customary drills and warm ups were led by Mr Motivator Westy, who tried to get us up for a tough game with a well organised and strong Camberley side. Despite his best efforts we started like so many 6s games, slowly and were slightly off the pace as we struggled to find our structure and composure on the ball. This led to Camberley’s dominance in the first 15 minutes and without some superb saves from Fynn the 6s would have gone more than one down. Although now chasing the game, confidence in the team grew with midfield battles being won. We started to use the width of the pitch, utilising our wings with Ben on the right and Connor on the left. Both tormented their opposite numbers all match.

We soon started peppering their goal after some great interplay down both flanks making their keeper work hard. A goal line clearance gave us a penalty flick. Up strolled Toddy to take the flick, giving the keeper no chance with a low in off the post flick into the left corner.

The second half started the way the first ended with the 6s mostly outplaying Camberley. Alfie, Jack and Campers managed to stifle their midfield from which most of Camberley’s creativity and threat had originally come from. Now first to the ball, and with excellent link play, our forwards created more pressure and chances, ending in a short corner and second goal for Toddy – a powerful short corner strike giving the keeper no chance.

Our third goal came from Harry, who was tenacious all game, getting his reward with a clever flick past the keeper. Despite being 3-1 up Camberley were never really out of the game and despite some fine saves from Fynn managed to score again to give them some hope.

Our final goal put the game to bed.  It was a lovely mazy run from Ben into the D, ending with a composed finish to beat their keeper.

In summary it was a great team performance from the whole team and another great win. Hopefully next week we can start how we finished this game!