This website uses cookies. By continuing to browse, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

I accept

M1 Win 8-2 At The University of Exeter


13th October 2019

By Colin Pike

Youngster Josh Redstone scored twice on his national league debut to help Surbiton Men, without several international players, win 8-2 at the University of Exeter to stay one point behind leaders Old Georgians with a game in hand.

Goalkeeper Harry Gibson, Alan Forsyth, James Gall and Tom Sorsby were all unavailable after playing for Great Britain in a two game test series against Spain in Valencia.

Ore Ogunlana returned to the Surbiton goal after spending time at the University of Durham and East Grinstead. Nikolaus Habbel, Scott Evans and Redstone also came in as Surbiton made several changes from the squad which had won 12-0 at Brooklands Manchester University. Theun De Leeuw also joined the squad with Conor Williamson representing Great Britain's U21 Men at the Sultan of Johor Cup in Malaysia.

At the Sports Park, Arjan Drayton-Chana had an shot on goal after just 26 seconds. Surbiton took the lead in the fifth minute after a passing move involving Drayton-Chana and David Goodfield was finished off by Zach Wallace.

A minute later, Redstone scored his first goal within two minutes of coming on from the substitutes bench to double the visitors' advantage.

Recovering from the previous week's 12-0 at Wimbledon, Exeter pulled a goal back in added on time at the end for the first quarter, former Surbiton player Max Lowrey finding the backboard after a pass from Sam Hooper.

Redstone struck again in the 27th minute to give Surbiton a 3-1 half time lead as the overcast weather which had forced the floodlights to be switched on early, brightened rapidly to reveal flashes of blue skies.

Late in the first half, Exeter came close to snatching a second goal, Rhys Bradshaw's lob just going wide of the right post guarded by Surbiton's Habbel after Rob Farrington had been caught out by an aerial ball.

Surbiton stepped up the pressure in the third quarter, Ben Boon finding the backboard in the 38th minute and Goodfield adding a fifth goal in the 42nd minute.

Boon scored his second goal with an angled shot from the right of the circle in the 48th minute and Luke Taylor scored Surbiton's seventh goal from Surbiton's fourth penalty corner in the 63rd minute.

Exeter fought back with a second goal from Tom Brooks in the 66th minute before Taylor converted his second penalty corner with two minutes to play.

Former Surbiton goalkeeper, Taylor Seager-Green, now enjoying his hockey at the University of Exeter made several excellent saves to stop Surbiton reaching double figures for the third successive domestic away league game.

Old Georgians won 2-1 at Beeston to stay a point ahead of Surbiton having played a game more.

Holcombe and Wimbledon played out a 3-3 draw in Kent, whilst Hampstead & Westminster needed a late goal to beat Brooklands Manchester University 2-1 at Paddington Recreation Ground.

East Grinstead had beaten Reading 2-1 in West Sussex on Saturday night.

Surbiton play East Grinstead at home next Saturday (19 October) push back 6 pm.