This website uses cookies. By continuing to browse, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

I accept

First Win of the Season for L7


4th November 2019

By Ali Quinn

Ladies 7’s 2 - 1 Chertsey Thames Valley L1s

“Our very own World Cup Final”

Not only were we disappointed with the rugby result but the hooligan that was blowing and the rain that had come down in the morning meant we were slightly concerned about how our match would go. In fact so concerned that Mobility Bray put her stabilisers on. 

A slight reshuffle gave our Sugar Plum Fairy the role of midfield general and having two colts gave us a little more pace.

We started well having taken on board the training message – working in triangles and letting the ball do the work. We were just not quite accurate in the final pass and a few chances went begging, but we felt confident we could break the deadlock. Defensively we were playing all the right notes (Gandalf on piano) and managing to keep Chertsey away from the circle. 

The first half was over in a flash but we felt we’d worked hard and managed to not concede, which was our main plan. No major tactical changes required, other than ensuring ball to stick and passing into spaces. 

Chertsey were better in the second half and we play better when the opposition bring it. They were starting to pressure the defence but to a woman we stood strong - aerials from Sammy, well they were balls off the ground, last ditch clearances from Debs and Louise and GPS Annie guarding our goal.

Two excellent team goals in the space of five minutes were the turning point – a sweep down the left from defence and a Crazy Legs cross allowed our current Golden Stick holder to deflect a ball through the keeper’s legs. Within minutes of the restart a carbon copy goal came down the right with a Mach 1 rocket ball from Chenghai to a fabulous reverse stick pick up from #allaboutme – the crowd went wild – crossed and finished again by our Golden Stick winner Lisa 2-0 and we were up for it.

Chertsey battened down the hatches and started to threaten – defensively we held firm and we were lucky their range finders were slightly off. A few close calls and feisty moments where words were exchanged kept us honest and a sneaky deflected goal gave Chertsey a foothold. It wasn’t quite panic mode but we needed to play the last ten minutes in their half. We had more chances but couldn’t quite extend our lead. 

All in all a good result 2-1 and a first win of the season. Moving up the table and a big game on the show pitch next weekend.

Thanks to Mobility Bray for umpiring – nice new jacket!
Captain Seddon – selection nightmare as ever
Lisa for being keeper of the Schwords
#allaboutme because I can – can I talk you through that reverse stick pick up again?!