This website uses cookies. By continuing to browse, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

I accept



9th August 2019

By Colin Pike

Scotland beat Poland 3-0 in the EuroHockey Championships II in Glasgow in a match which was held up for over an hour due to heavy rain in Scotland.

The victory not only earned Scotland a place in the final against Italy, but also secured an immediate return to the top tier of the competition after being relegated two years ago.

Just three minutes and forty seconds into the match, the teams trooped off as the pitch became severely waterlogged, but by then Scotland were already ahead, Emily Dark turning in a cross from the right just as the rain started.

The match, which originally started at 5 pm, resumed at 6.25 pm. Scotland’s second goal came in the twelfth minute, Surbiton’s Robyn Collins forcing a save from a penalty corner before the ball found its way to captain Kaz Cuthbert,to smash the ball home.

The third goal came on the stroke of half time, Sarah Jamieson running at the Polish defence before shooting towards the right post where Louise Campbell made sure that Scotland had a three goal advantage at the interval.

Scotland couldn’t add to their tally in the second half, whilst Poland had their chances, but Poland elected to play the final seven minutes with eleven outfield players and were unlucky not to concede a fourth goal, only the right post saving them.

Collins came on as a fourth minute substitute along with former Surbiton player, Kate Holmes. Former Surbiton goalkeeper, Amy Gibson, was in the starting lineup and shared goalkeeping duties with Nicola Cochrane before celebrating promotion.

Italy and Scotland are the top two ranked teams in the tournament, Italy beating Austria 4-0 in the first semi-final. The final takes place at 4.15 pm on Saturday (10 August).

The Scottish Hockey match report can be read here.

More information about the tournament can be found at the FIH TMS website.

The match can be seen again at the BBC Sport website.