The Junior Academy is for our younger members and caters for players in school years 1 – 3, starting from age 6.
The Academy is suitable for complete beginners through to children who are moving into the club’s U9 – U16 age group programme. Junior Academy sessions are held on Sunday mornings and Monday evenings.
Please note that the timetable for the 2019/20 season will be confirmed shortly, but provisional session times are:
Sunday (Skills): 8.45am – 9.45am
Monday (GameTime): 6pm – 7pm
The Hockey season runs from September until Easter. Some additional hockey is available during the summer term (additional fees apply).
Please note that Sunday sessions continue during half term, but weekday training will not take place during the half term holiday.
As our Junior Academy involves a number of very young players, we constantly adapt the programme to suit the levels of ability and development of those involved. As per England Hockey’s guidelines, this means that we focus on “physical literacy” (i.e. agility, coordination and balance), as well as stick and ball work. By setting good foundations for athletic performance at an early age, we optimise their ongoing development within the sport. The use of fun games and play also is a critical element of each child’s development.
Our Junior Academy programme brings together elements of England Hockey’s Quicksticks syllabus, as well as incorporating game play, which we know is the best way to harness children’s enthusiasm for the sport and develop the core skills which are critical to their long term development. We organise and participate in a number of mini festivals.
Your child must be registered before attending the Junior Academy. Details of how to apply for a place in the Junior Academy can be found here. Costs for joining the SHC Colts (including the Junior Academy) can also be found on this page.
- We do not operate a waiting list.
- We may offer a week to try the sessions before making a payment, but we are unable to allow children to play if they are not pre-registered.
- Costs may be reduced for children joining part of the way through the season, but please note that this fee can only be adjusted half termly.
- We would like to encourage children to do both sessions, but understand that this may not be convenient. Please contact us if your child would like to play but can only do one session a week on either Sunday or Monday.
- Children are grouped into ability and are taught by a mixture of qualified coaches, hockey playing parents and older Colts.
- From time to time the children take part in mini tournaments, matches and games, mostly internal club games. Parents will be advised if their child is selected for games and we try to ensure everyone has a chance to play during the season.
- Parents are welcome to stay and watch their children (or have a bacon roll and coffee from the Tea Hut!). Parents and younger siblings are not allowed on the pitch during sessions.
- All Junior Academy members must wear a mouthguard and shinpads. Children will not be permitted to take part without both of these items.
- Please ensure your child is suitably attired for training sessions. Trainers or astroturf shoes and sports clothes are a must! Children should bring a water bottle and a change of clothes in case of wet weather. During the colder months, children should also have a rain jacket, tracksuit trousers and a warm top. Gloves are sensible too (but make sure they are able to hold the stick and the gloves are not slippery).
- We have a number of junior hockey sticks available at the club, which our Academy members can borrow. However, regular members are encouraged to purchase their own as our stocks are limited.
- Sticks come in a range of sizes. When buying a stick for your child, as a general rule of thumb the stick should come up to their hip bone.
- The Club also has a number of small goalkeeper kits available to borrow.
SHC clothing is sold by Tacklebag. Tacklebag also come to the Club once a month so keep an eye out for dates on this website. Most of our younger members don’t actually require much in the way of SHC kit, but SHC hoodies and socks are the most popular!
If you have any questions about the format of the Junior Academy sessions, please contact Will Fulker via email or phone on 07411 566653
Our Junior Academy players (and parents – sorry!) need to be early risers!
Our weekly training slot on Sunday mornings kicks off a jam-packed day of SHC Colts’ training and matches for all age groups. Due to our early start, this means that in extreme weather conditions, such as severe frost or snowfall, we may make alternative arrangements or, if absolutely necessary, may postpone a session.
Please check with your squad manager and look at the Surbiton Hockey Club Twitter feed if you are unsure whether your session is taking place. In these instances a pitch inspection will take place on the day no later than half an hour before the scheduled session start time, and changes communicated accordingly.