Surbiton Hockey Club was delighted that our new porch was formally opened on Saturday 1 October by the Honourable the Mayor of Elmbridge, Tannia Shipley.
Club Treasurer, Keith Wallis, noted that “the Club was extremely grateful to the Mayor for making time from her busy schedule to visit us for the opening but also grateful to an “Old Member” who had generously funded the cost of the rebuilding.
He added “The member in question wishes to remain anonymous but has requested that the porch be named in the memory of Colin Bell with whom he enjoyed many happy years at SHC.”
L.R. (Colin) Bell was an enormous presence at SHC and was almost solely responsible for re-forming the Club in 1922 following its closure during the First World War and again restarting our activities after the Second World War. In the many roles he held from Honorary Treasurer in 1926, Club secretary in 1930, Fixtures secretary until 1953, Captain, Vice President, President and Patron of the Club in the years from 1953 to 1968, was instrumental in securing the Club’s future at Sugden Road.
This included negotiating the purchase of our freehold land (now the car park) from the Lovelace Estate for the princely sum of £3,450 in the 1950s and then securing a 999 year lease on a peppercorn rental of our playing field from Esher Urban District Council (now Elmbridge Borough Council) in 1961. It was through Colin’s foresight and business acumen that the Club’s tenure at Sugden Road has been secured – at least until 2960 – a position that many other hockey clubs in the country can only envy.”