Jaffa Super Sixes Championships Final – 27 January 2019

EAST GRINSTEAD 33 SURBITON (East Grinstead won 3-1 in shootout)

Scorers: Tom Sorsby 15-F, Niall Stott 29-PC, Jonny Gall 36-F (Shootout: David Goodfield)
Squad: Jonny Gall (Capt.), Arjan Drayton-Chana, Dave Beckett, Niall Stott, David Goodfield, Taylor Seager-Green (GK).

Subs: Tom Sorsby (4 mins), Lewis Prosser (5), Ben Boon (5), William Marshall (10). Subs not used: Conor Williamson, Mark Haycroft (GK).

Umpires: Lee Barron and Sean Edwards

Surbiton Men just missed out on a second Jaffa Super Sixes Championships title in three years, losing out to East Grinstead in a shootout after an enthralling 3-3 draw in normal time.

The victory gave East Grinstead their 14th title, but Surbiton were unlucky having led three times before having to settle for a shootout.

In contrast to the semi-final against Sevenoaks, both teams showed attacking intent but defences and goalkeepers were on top, but the first goal didn’t arrive until five minutes before half time, Tom Sorsby scoring from the right of the circle, deflected off East Grinstead goalkeeper, Patrick Smith’s stick.

That was the only goal of the first half, but three minutes into the second half, Wesley Jackson equalised at the right post to bring East Grinstead level. Surbiton’s penalty corner routines were not quite as effective as against Sevenoaks, but Niall Stott restored Surbiton’s lead with a conversion in the 29th minute.

Five minutes later, Ben Mackey levelled for East Grinstead with a clinical penalty corner conversion, only for Surbiton captain Jonny Gall to put his side ahead for the third time from open play with just four minutes to play.

Ashley Jackson was always going to be East Grinstead’s main threat and a shot from the left of the circle into the roof of the net brought the West Sussex club level for a third time to force a shootout.

East Grinstead went first, captain Simon Faulkner successful with his attempt. Smith denied Drayton-Chana to give East Grinstead the advantage which was subsequently cemented by Tijn van Groessen’s shot against the backboard.

David Goodfield kept Surbiton in contention with his attempt, but it was Ashley Jackson who won the title with a clinical and instant finish which gave Taylor Seager-Green little chance. Seager-Green was not at fault for any of East Grinstead’s shootout goals as he quite simply came up against three quality finishers.

In spite of naturally being gutted as having lost at the final hurdle, Surbiton captain Gall reflected after the game that there was a lot to be positive about. “The boys’ performance was unbelievable considering we were missing a couple of players [Alan Forsyth and Brendan Creed] and it’s to their credit that we peaked together as a team for the finals”.

More information about the tournament can be found at the England Hockey Altius website

N.B. Surbiton’s first goal in the final was officially credited to Ben Boon but it was Tom Sorsby who scored.