Men’s Hockey League Championship Final – 29 April 2018

SURBITON 3-3 HAMPSTEAD & WESTMINSTER (Surbiton win 3-2 on shootout)

Scorers: Alan Forsyth 14-F, 16-PS, Gareth Furlong 58-PC

Shootout Scorers: Forsyth 2, Goodfield

Squad: Harry Gibson (GK); Luke Taylor, Luke Noblett, Jonny Gall, Chris Grassick (Capt.), Arjan Drayton Chana, Zach Wallace, Alan Forsyth, Brendan Creed, David Goodfield, James Gall.

Subs: Sam Spencer (4 mins), Lewis Prosser (5), Gareth Furlong (6), Rob Farrington (7), Nick Parkes (19), Scott Evans (30).

Sub not used: Taylor Seager-Green (GK).

Umpires: Dan Barstow and Paul ‘Walker

Surbiton Men retained their Men’s Hockey League Championship title in the same dramatic fashion as last year winning 3-2 in a penalty shootout after a 3-3 draw in normal time, this time against a battling Hampstead & Westminster team.

Surbiton trailed 3-2 with two minutes remaining before Gareth Furlong, who brought Surbiton back on parity with Wimbledon last season, equalised again from a penalty corner to set up a penalty shootout decider. Surbiton’s tactic of using Brendan Creed as a kicking back took just 86 seconds to bring the reigning champions back to parity.

After Hampstead’s Michael Watt and Surbiton’s Sam Spencer missed their opening shuffles, Will Calnan and Alan Forsyth both scored before Harry Martin gave Hampstead a 2-1 advantage.

Zach Wallace, Sam French, Luke Noblett and Chris Cargo all failed to score leaving David Goodfield to force sudden death with a 2-2 scoreline.

Surbiton went first in sudden death, Forsyth giving them the advantage with goalkeeper Harry Gibson saving from Martin to give Surbiton their second successive title.

The match which preceded the shootout had been one of the best finals ever, Alan Forsyth giving Surbiton a 14th minute lead from a cross from the right from Zach Wallace and then doubling Surbiton’s lead a minute into the second quarter from the penalty spot after Arjan Drayton Chana was brought down in the circle.

Hampstead fought back to level by half time, Chris Cargo pulling a goal back in the 22nd minute with a penalty corner conversion into the top right corner with Calnan sending a spectacuar open play shot into the same area two minutes before the interval.

Hampstead took the lead in the 42nd minute, prolific goalscorer Matt Guise-Brown converting a penalty corner before Furlong’s dramatic late equaliser changed the game yet again.

Surbiton will play Sevenoaks and the University of Exeter in next season’s MHL Premier Division after both teams won their third games in the Promotion Tournament to secure promotion.

The England Hockey Match Report can be found here

A report can also be found on on the EHL website where news about next season’s qualifiers can also be found.

The video of the match will be available for around 30 days after the date of the match on the BBC Sport website