Jaffa Super Sixes Championships Semi-Final – 27 January 2019


Scorers: Lewis Prosser 5-F, Arjan Drayton-Chana 9-F, Dave Beckett 20+-PC, 27-PC; Niall Stott 33-PC, Conor Williamson 35-PC, William Marshall 37-F
Squad: Jonny Gall (Capt.), Arjan Drayton-Chana, Dave Beckett, Niall Stott, David Goodfield, Taylor Seager-Green (GK).

Subs: Lewis Prosser (4 mins), Tom Sorsby (4), Ben Boon (4), William Marshall (6), Conor Williamson (35), Mark Haycroft (GK) (38)

Umpires: Andy Higgins and Nick White


Surbiton Men reached the Jaffa Super Sixes Championships Final with a convincing 7-4 win over Sevenoaks in the second semi-final at the Copper Box Arena.

Surbiton had lost to Sevenoaks 5-4 in the first Premier Division meeting at Bromsgrove School, but never trailed in the rematch.

Both teams had contrasting styles at the start of the game, Surbiton remaining patient, passing the ball trying to find a gap in the Sevenoaks defence whilst Sevenoaks once in possession, were more direct and attacking in their approach.

Surbiton took the lead in the fifth minute through Lewis Prosser before Arjan Drayton-Chana doubled their lead in the ninth minute with a quality finish into the roof of the net which earned the goal of the finals award.

Sevenoaks responded in the tenth minute, George Torry finishing from close range but Surbiton restored their two goal advantage at the end of the first half, Dave Beckett firing home in emphatic fashion after the half time hooter.

Beckett struck again from a penalty corner in the 27th minute before Niall Stott in the 33rd minute and Conor Williamson in the 35th minute also converted penalty corners to give Surbiton a 6-1 commanding lead.

Sevenoaks briefly threatened to mount a comeback with open play goals from David Smith in the 36th minute and Ben Fox a minute later. Sevenoaks elected to field a kicking back a the last throw of the dice but William Marshall added Surbiton’s seventh goal within seconds of Fox’s strike although Sevenoaks had the final say in the last minute when Rufus McNaught-Barrington converted a penalty corner.

Surbiton goalkeeper, Taylor Seager-Green made some superb saves to keep the Sevenoaks forwards at bay, with Mark Haycroft coming on for the final two minutes.

Surbiton repeated their semi-final win over Sevenoaks at Wembley in 2017, although not by as big a margin, having prevailed 8-1. As in 2017, Surbiton’s opponents were East Grinstead, who although finishing fourth in the final Premier Division table, beat Hampstead & Westminster, going into finals day with a one hundred per cent qualifying record, 7-5 in the first semi-final.