Men’s Hockey League Premier Division  – 15 October 2017


Scorers: Alan Forsyth 53-F, Arjan Drayton Chana 58-F
Squad: Harry Gibson (GK); Luke Taylor, Rob Farrington, Jonny Gall, Chris Grassick (Capt.), Willie Marshall, Zach Wallace, Alan Forsyth, Brendan Creed, David Goodfield, James Gall.

Subs: Lewis Prosser (5″), Arjan Drayton-Chana (5″), Nick Parkes (7″), Sam Spencer (8″), Luke Noblett (11″)

UmpiresDave Dowdall and Paul Walker

Match Official: Harry Stickland


Surbiton Men beat Wimbledon for the first time ever in the Men’s Hockey League, winning 2-1 at King’s College School on a sunny afternoon in South West London

After eight previous regular season meetings in which Wimbledon had won three with the other five games drawn, Surbiton finally beat their near neighbours at the ninth attempt.

This season, Wimbledon had drawn their first two league games before taking part in the Euro Hockey League, but it was Surbiton who followed the form book to boast a one hundred per cent record after four matches.

Having missed the home game against Hampstead, Surbiton welcomed back Alan Forsyth, with Luke Noblett also back in the squad after playing in the Australian Hockey League.

The first half was extremely competitive with both sides playing attractive attacking hockey but unable to make a breakthrough. Forsyth had an early chance to score with Jonny Gall lifting the ball over the crossbar with an angled shot.

Rob Farrington also went close and with Wimbledon also having chances to score and Surbiton goalkeeper, Harry Gibson making important saves, the crowd might have seen a goalless first half, but had plenty of entertainment to enjoy.

In the second half, Surbiton put more pressure on the Wimbledon goal and home goalkeeper, James Bailey. David Goodfield and Forsyth both forced saves from Bailey before the breakthrough came in the 53rd minute.Brendan Creed crossed the ball from the right for Forsyth to score his fourth goal of the season.

Five minutes later Sam Spencer found Arjan Drayton Chana, whose shot from an acute angle from the right of the circle eluded Bailey and went in off the crossbar to double Surbiton’s lead.

Wimbledon pulled a goal back through their captain, Johnny Kinder with eight minutes to play, but although Wimbledon had the opportunity to snatch a late equaliser via a penalty corner, Surbiton’s penalty corner defenders got to the ball first to relieve the pressure and hold on for the historic win.

After Holcombe had won 2-1 at Reading and East Grinstead 3-1 at Sevenoaks on Saturday night; on Sunday Beeston won 3-0 at Brooklands Manchester University and Hampstead & Westminster thrashed Canterbury 7-0.

Next Saturday, both Surbiton first teams make the trip to Holcombe for a doubleheader. Surbiton Ladies play at 4 pm with the Men following afterwards at 6 pm.