Investec Women’s Tier 1 Championships – Quarter Final – 8 April 2018


Scorers: Sarah Page 12-F, 62-F; Jenna Woolven 15-F, Beckie Middleton 22-F
Squad: Stephanie Addison, Georgie Twigg (Capt.), Emily Atkinson, Alessia Robinson, Olivia Chilton, Beckie Middleton, Lucy Holder, Holly Payne, Alice Sharp, Anabel Herzsprung, Abi Walker (GK).

Subs: Sarah Page (5″), Izzy Petter (8″), Jenna Woolven (12″), Hannah Denison (20″).

Umpires: Lena McCrae and Rebecca Woodcock

Match Official: Ian Marsh

Surbiton Ladies reached the semi-finals of the Investec Women’s Tier 1 Championships, winning 4-2 at Hampstead & Westminster, the IWHL Conference East champions on Sunday afternoon.

Surbiton led 3-0 at Paddington Recreation Ground after just 22 minutes and seemed to be on course for an easy victory, but Hampstead battled back through two penalty corner conversions before half time and threatened with their penalty corner routine in the second half.

With Surbiton missing their six international players at the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games, goalkeeper Abi Walker returned to the squad along with Jenna Woolven.

Hampstead included Emily Maguire and former Surbiton player and Welsh international, Elen Barnes, who proved to be a thorn in Surbiton’s side.

Surbiton took the lead in the twelfth minute, Sarah Page smashing the ball into the goal to open the scoring. Three minutes later, Lucy Holder set up the second goal for Woolven as the Hampstead defence which had conceded just ten goals in their eighteen Conference East matches found themselves two goals down.

The tie seemed to be as good as over in the 22nd minute when a Beckie Middleton ran towards goal from the right wing before unleashing a shot into the far left side netting to put Surbiton three goals ahead.

However, Hampstead, who have ambitions of playing Surbiton in the Premier Division next season, found that their penalty corner routine was effective. A first award in the seventh minute had seen a shot go wide left of the goal, but the second and third awards proved to be deadly.

And it was Barnes who scored both, the first in the 24th minute and the second just before half time as Hampstead ended the first half with the momentum.

In the second half, Surbiton lived dangerously as Hampstead forced a further five penalty corners but a combination of blocks and clearances prevented Hampstead from equalising.

Fortunately for Surbiton they were able to kill the tie off in the 62nd minute when Page scored from short range to put last season’s Investec Cup winners into the last four.

Surbiton also maintained their excellent cup record against Hampstead having beaten them in the Investec Cup Final in 2014 and then started their cup defence at Paddington Recreation Ground the following season.

The semi-final fixture details will be confirmed shortly.