England Men were beaten 3-1 by the Netherlands in the second semi-final of the Rabo EuroHockey Championships in Amsterdam and will take on Germany for the bronze medals at 12.30 pm BST on Sunday.

Germany drew 2-2 with Belgium in the first semi-final, but lost out in the shootout 2-0.

The Netherlands will be aiming to avenge their pool defeat, Belgium having won 5-0.

Against the Netherlands, England began well and took the game to the hosts, Surbiton’s David Goodfield attacking both in the right corner of the 23 and just missing out on getting a final touch in the circle.

Ollie Willars forced a save from the top of the circle in the seventh minute and five minutes later, David Condon forced a superb save from Dutch goalkeeper, Pirmin Blaak who moved to his left to deflect the ball away from goal.

England goalkeeper, George Pinner had to kick the ball to safety towards the end of the first quarter.

The Netherlands, who rotated their goalkeepers by quarter, Sam van der Ven taking over in goal for the second and fourth quarters, took the game by the scruff of the neck midway through the second quarter with two quick goals.

First, Surbiton’s Brendan Creed misjudged a pass which was intercepted and resulted in a Dutch breakaway attack culminating in the Dutch forcing their first penalty corner of the match.

After a mistrap, Mink van der Weerden gave the Dutch a 1-0 lead in the 21st minute, but England lost their video referral which challenging whether the mistrap involved the ball making contact with the back of the stick.

Having suffered a double setback, the Netherlands added a third a minute later, Mirco Pruijser spinning round in the circle before smashing the ball just inside the left post and against the backboard to double the hosts’ lead.

England trailed 2-0 at half time and when Pruijser struck again in the 39th minute, this time from close range to given the Netherlands a three goal lead, it looked like game over.

However England fought back and three minutes later, pulled a goal back thanks to Mark Gleghorne’s fantastic drag-flick from England’s third penalty corner, the shot ending up in the top right corner beyond Blaak’s reach.

In the 49th minute, Chris Griffiths was unlucky not to reduce the deficit to 3-2, his angled shot from the right of the circle going narrowly high and wide left of the goal.

In turn, Pruijser went close to clinching a hat-trick, only for Pinner to deny him.

With five and a half minutes left and Floris Woertelboer in the sin-bin, Pinner was pulled in favour of Liam Sanford, who donned the kicking back bib.

The Netherlands successfully kept England at bay, keeping the ball in the corners in the final seconds to earn a rematch against Belgium on Sunday afternoon.

Creed and Goodfield were both in the starting line-up, with Surbiton goalkeeper, Harry Gibson patient on the substitutes bench.

More information about the tournament can be found in the Match Centre section of the FIH website here

The England Hockey match report can be found here