3 June 2017 EuroHockey Club Cup Semi-Final


Scorer: Webb 26-PC
Squad: Evans, Haycroft (Capt.), Twigg, Hunter, Webb, Atkinson, Defroand, Middleton, Page, Sharp, Bray (GK). Subs: King (5′), Woolven (7′), Martin (9′), Chilton (22′), Robinson (23′), Shahbo (GK) (46′). Sub not used: Ansley

Umpires: Michelle Meister (Ger) and Ivona Makar (Croatia)


Surbiton Ladies’ European hopes were ended in emphatic fashion by hosts, ‘s-Hertogenbosch, who pulled away to a 7-1 win after being held to a 1-1 scoreline at half time.

Maatje Paumen’s penalty corner routine proved deadly, although both young Surbiton goalkeepers, Louisa Bray and Ellie Shahbo saved from the Dutch legend, with only two of the seven goals coming from open play.

Surbiton took the game to the hosts in the opening minutes, not afraid to risk long penetrating passes to move the ball upfield, captain, Sarah Haycroft leading the way.

When Den Bosch threatened, both Alice Sharp and Emily Defroand worked hard in defence.

In the 12th minute, Hollie Webb went on a run through the centre of the home defence, only for the attack to result in a free hit for Den Bosch.

Surbiton had goalkeeper Bray to thank for excellent penalty corner saves from Paumen and Margot van Geffen, with Paumen blasting the ball wide of the right post from a third award in the first quarter.

After a goalless first quarter, Den Bosch took the lead in the 18th minute, Sian Keil outwitting the Surbiton defence to set up a one on one attack with Bray before finding the backboard.

Surbiton fought back four minutes before the interval, Webb converting Surbiton’s only penalty corner of the match to ensure that the teams were level at 1-1 at half time.

Den Bosch were devastating in the third quarter, scoring four unanswered goals to lead 5-1. In the 37th minute Maartje Krekelaar put away a rebound from a Bray save from Den Bosch’s fourth penalty corner.

A minute later, Paumen placed the ball perfectly to Bray’s right to give Den Bosch breathing space and a 3-1 lead.

Paumen worked her magic again in the 43rd minute before van Geffen’s shot on the turn in the final minute of the third quarter put Den Bosch well in command.

Paumen completed her hat-trick four minutes into the final quarter, with van Geffen scoring her second goal from a rebound from Ellie Shahbo’s pad save, Den Bosch having forced a total of 12 penalty corners in the match.

Surbiton kept their composure and were unlucky not to score a second consolation goal in the final minute when Alice Sharp forced a save from Den Bosch’s Josine Koning.

Surbiton will face another Dutch club, AH&BC Amsterdam in Monday’s third place playoff at 1 pm local time.  UHC Hamburg came from 2-0 down, scoring twice in the final five minutes to force a shootout. Hamburg prevailed 3-1 in the shootout to earn the right to face Den Bosch in the final at 3 pm local time on Monday.

Hamburg’s progression to the final will probably ensure that Surbiton will be England’s only representatives at next season’s EuroHockey Club Cup,with Holcombe likely to play in the second division Trophy. Germany were only half a ranking point behind England in last season’s coefficient table, so are favourites to move up to second place and secure the second qualification place in the top division European competition.