4 June 2017 EuroHockey Club Cup 5th-8th Playoff


Scorers: Balsdon 25-PC, 48-PS; Griggs 52-F
Canterbury Squad: Fagg (GK); Balsdon, Griggs, Clewlow, E Brett, Flint, Kerly (Capt.), Neal, Kolárová, Barnes, Del Borello. Subs: Vankemmel (7′), Jenkins (9′), Turner (9′), Fox (19′), A Brett (28′), Buttimer (57′). Sub not used: Smith (GK)

Umpires: Pilar Lopez Martinez (Spain), Lisette Baljon (Netherlands)


Canterbury will play CSV Complutense of Spain  for fifth place at 11 am local time on Monday after beating Russian champions CSP Krylatskoye on Sunday. Complutense beat Irish champions Hermes-Monkstown 4-1.

Before the match a minute’s silence was observed following the terrorist attack on London Bridge on Saturday night. The Canterbury team wore black armbands as a mark of respect.

Canterbury began brightly, Eliza Brett intercepting twice in succession before trying to set up a scoring chance for Lizzie Neal in the fourth minute.

Krylatskoye threatened a minute later but goalkeeper Helen Fagg and Mel Clewlow combined to clear. Bogdana Sadovaia was thwarted by Grace Balsdon, while Canterbury conceded the first penalty corner of the match in the 12th minute, Ekaterina Shaburova shooting past the right post after a mistrap of the injection.

Eliza Brett shot past the left post after an excellent passing move involving Neal and Clewlow to ensure that the first quarter remained goalless.

Five minutes into the second quarter, Neal’s shot brushed the angle of left post and side board to Canterbury’s frustration.

They again went close to breaking the deadlock midway through the second quarter when Balsdon’s shot was cleared off the line by a Russian stick from their first penalty corner. From the next attack, Hayley Turner forced another penalty corner, from which Balsdon made no mistake finding the backboard in the 25th minute to give Canterbury a 1-0 lead they held at half time.

Krylatskoye unexpectedly fought their way back into the game in the 39th minute, a cross from the left being turned in by Alena Khalmuratova after Canterbury had seemed to be in control of the match.

Going into the final quarter the teams remained deadlocked at 1-1, but in the 47th minute, Eliza Brett shot narrowly past the right post as Canterbury wondered if the ball would fall for them.

A minute later, Canterbury got the break they needed from their third penalty corner to help them restore their lead.  Eliza Brett tried to score at the left post but after the umpires consulted, Brett’s shot was judged to have been blocked illegally resulting in the award of a penalty stroke.

Balsdon confidently put away the stroke put Canterbury 2-1 up and back on course for the playoff for fifth place.

With eight minutes remaining, the victory was sealed, Neal passing to Hannah Griggs to finish and make the score 3-1.

With Krylatskoye having two players banished to the sin-bin, Alina Khalimova in the 53rd minute with Shaburova joining her a minute later, both players having seen green, Canterbury were able to comfortably see the game out.